Thursday, December 27, 2012

Sentences – Simple, Compound and Complex


Sentences can be of three different types – simple, complex and compound in English language. According to expert writers, writing should be mix of different types of sentences in order to be interesting and lively. Let’s have a look at each of the type along with examples in this post.

Simple Sentence: A simple sentence is also referred as independent clause. Simple sentences contain a subject and a verb that expresses the complete meaning and therefore, it is referred as independent clause.  For example:

1. Nappy Liners India has good collection of baby diapers.
2. Maria buys baby shoes online for her child.
3. She explored the online store to buy quality baby rompers online.

Compound Sentence: A compound sentence is a sentence that contains two independent clauses that are combined by a coordinator. Some of the popularly used coordinators are for, so, but, yet, and, or and so on. At times, coordinators in compound sentences are preceded by a comma. For example:

1. I bought nappies from Nappy Liners India online store and Mina bought baby shoes online.
2. John bought baby rompers online , so Jim planned to buy something else.
3. Tom went for shopping but didn’t buy anything.

Complex Sentence: A complex sentence is a sentence that has an independent clause joined by one or more dependent clause. A complex sentence always contains a subordinator. Popularly used examples of subordinators are: because, since, although, after and so on. For example:

1. Since she came to know about the online baby store, she has been buying baby products online.
2. Although I was not feeling well, I completed the task on time.
3. She came back home after she realized her mistake.

Identify simple, compound and complex sentence:

1. Mary likes dancing. (Simple Sentence)
2. I bought a cycle because I need to exercise a bit. (Complex Sentence)
3. I went for shopping and bought some interesting play toys. (Compound Sentence)
4. He is rich yet humble. (Compound Sentence)
5. She moved to the States after getting married with John. (Complex Sentence)

These are the basics about simple, compound and complex sentences.

No comments:

Post a Comment